March 3, 2020
Dear Nazareth Area School District Parents/Guardians:
The Nazareth Area School District continues to monitor the situation regarding the respiratory virus known as Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). Coronavirus Disease is a flu and respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. Symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath. Though there have not been any reported cases in Pennsylvania to date, we continue to plan and take precautions given the evolving nature of the situation.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) believes the immediate risk of this new virus to the American public is low at this time. Both the CDC and the Pennsylvania Department of Health (DOH) have issued a number of informational pieces that we have included as attachments to this communication.
There are some simple ways to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including the COVID-19. Some simple precautions include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or the inside of your elbow. Immediately throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick and notify the school of the reason for your absence.
The Nazareth Area School District will also continue to implement the following preventative measures:
- Clean frequently touched surfaces (desks, door knobs and cafeteria tables).
- Continue following sanitization protocols for classrooms and shared spaces.
- Encourage student hand washing or use of hand sanitizers.
- Encourage students to avoid sharing items such as drinks, food and eating utensils.
- Monitor student attendance and reasons for absence.
- Collaborate with our transportation provider to sanitize interior bus surfaces.
Our staff will remain vigilant in helping to identify any student who appears to be exhibiting any flu-like or respiratory symptoms. In the meantime, if you feel your son/daughter is exhibiting signs of respiratory illness, please keep your child home from school and we encourage you to contact your physician immediately.
In addition to the resources attached to this communication, you can also visit the CDC and DOH websites appearing below for regularly updated information on COVID-19.
- Pennsylvania Department of Health website: www.health.pa.gov
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website: https://www.cdc.gov
Dennis L. Riker, Ed.D.
Nazareth Area School District